Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Wedding Day

Today was the day we've all been waiting for. Ben and Sharley got married. The day started out a bit rough and I was really getting worried. You know how it is trying to get out of the house in the mornings. We were all doing pretty good with the schedule when all of the sudden Serene dropped her earing down the bathroom sink drain. It isn't that the earing was of great value or anything but it matched her outfit and she really needed it. I quickly pulled apart the trap and recovered the earing (cut my thumb doing it) but now I was a bit behind on my carefully planned schedule. I gave up the shower but I really needed my weekly shave. I quickly shaved (it's never a good idea to shave quickly) and then put on the tux. I was worried about getting blood on the tux from my bleeding finger but I was successful. I then went down the stairs to head out the door. Lisa took one look at me and about died. I guess my quick shave resulted in a couple of cuts on my face and the collar of my nice white shirt was covered with blood. So much for the thumb. We sent Kira, Justin, Brandon and Serene out the door in one car while Lisa was putting the tide bleach pen to the test. I thought she did a great job but she was sure everyone was going to see the pink hue to the collar. Now of course Lisa and I were late but we rushed out the door and while I finished getting dressed she was seeing how fast our Camry can really go. About half way to the temple as our blood pressure was settling down Lisa asks if I left a key for the Sienna. Well I had my key in my pocket, Lisa was driving one of our Camry's with her keys and we'd given Justin the spare set to drive the other Camry. Nope, Alycia had no key to the Sienna and she had to bring six adults and two babies to the temple. They weren't going to fit in the little Ford Ranger. Well, Lisa takes the next exit and we head back home. I run the key into the house and we head back out to the freeway. We call ahead to warn the Temple that we might be a few minutes late and to please not marry the kids without us. They assure us that they won't. Meanwhile Kira calls to warn us that the main parking lot is full and we need to park in the upper lot. We do so and run for Temple. About half way to the Temple Lisa stops and realizes that she's wearing her prescription sunglasses and I have to run back to the car and change them for her normal glasses. We finally get to the temple about five minutes late so with great trepidation we go and meet up with the group. We then learn that Ben and Sharley had forgotten the marriage license and the license had arrived only moments before us. No one had waited for us at all. We then began to relax and the remainder of the day went off with out a hitch. The wedding ceremony was beautiful, the weather was beautiful and warm. The sun was a bit bright for good pictures and mine are all a smidge over exposed but oh well. It could have been like Kira's wedding. It rained but boy do her pictures have beautiful deep colors. After hours in the sun taking pictures we head back to the house to relax a bit before the reception. It is about his time that I realize that I have thoroughly burned the top of my head. I don't know what I could have done though, it isn't like I could have worn my hat in the pictures. At the house we served everyone left over Mexican food from the family dinner. It was very good, we all just sat around and visited. Peter sacked out on the couch and had a good nap. That is what I should have done. Finally we all had to head over to the Rancho Bernardo Courtyard where the reception was. The Courtyard is naturally a beautiful place and so minimal decorating is required. That made things really nice for us. Sharley wanted only deserts at her reception. At first she was only going to have chocolate but finally she gave in to pressure and decided to have cheese and crackers etc. for the fat people like me and the diabetics in the world. I've heard reports that the food was absolutely delicious but some how I got so into visiting with people that I didn't get to eat anything. I did at one point load up a plate with a delicious looking artichoke spread and some bread but then I saw a good friend so I set my plate down and got to visiting. A little later I went to eat my food and they'd cleaned it up. Oh well, I didn't need the food anyway and I sure had fun visiting. That is kind of funny because I am totally not the sociable type. Brandon has been conniving all week long about what he could do to Ben's car. He has heard all of the stories about what Lester and I used to do and he really wants to repeat the tricks. The problem is that cars and laws have changed so much since I was a kid that it is very difficult to do them. Aside from all of that, I would much rather spend my time in the reception visiting with friends than I would like to spend it in the parking lot jacking up cars. So Brandon wants to hot wire the seats but new cars don't have an ignition coil and the spark plugs are buried beneath the manifold cover. He wanted to make touch powder but iodine is a controlled substance and you can't buy it without a license because it is used to make crystal meth. Saltpeter is no longer sold in drug stores so that cuts out gun powder. Acetylene bombs are out because you need the spark plug or ignition coil to detonate those. He was all ready to buy some iodine solution but I told him that if he got a big iodine stain on Sharleys wedding dress it would probably start the relationship with the new in-laws off on the wrong foot. He finally decided to put a huge balloon over the tail pipe, dump confetti down the defroster, jack up the tire and put a tray of dry ice in water inside the car and fill it up with fog. We get to the reception and Sharleys brother who was supposed to get the key to the car has succumbed to family pressure and has fallen through. They then send Sarah to trick Ben out of his tux jacket with tales of being cold hoping that the keys are in the jacket but Ben isn't about to give up his tux on his wedding day. Finally they put Ben under surveillance and see a bulge in his pocket where they figure the keys are. Sarah hands Sydney (Brandon's baby) to Ben and Brandon shoves his hand in Ben's pocket and takes his keys. Ben of course can't react because he isn't going to drop the baby. Brandon is now threatened with great bodily harm and monitory penalties if any damage is done to the vehicles but Brandon never did succumb well to threats. What did throw Brandon though was that he had the wrong keys. Convinced that Ben had switched keys on him he returned the keys. What he didn't realize was that they hadn't switched keys, they had switched vehicles. Brandon had the correct keys all along. Not knowing this he gave up on the confetti and put the dry ice on the roof of the car. The balloon and blocking the tire went as planned. You can imagine Brandon's disappointment when Ben drives up in Cotters fancy SUV. The one that he had the key for earlier. After the bride and groom had departed we were cleaning up and we heard a rather loud boom. The balloon had worked flawlessly. We ran out to the parking lot and Sharleys brother was also a bit puzzled as to why the car wasn't going anywhere either. Brandon was a good sport and removed the block for him. Going home everyone felt a bit ripped off that we had targeted the wrong car and then it dawned on someone that we knew where they were staying and we knew what car they had. We then grabbed a roll of Saran Wrap, another balloon, some tin cans and off we went. We talked to the security guard to make sure we wouldn't get arrested and away we went. We Saran wrapped the car but we did have to leave the drivers door accessible because they had parked in Valet. I got to bed at 1:30 AM. I need to get the whole story on what the valet guy thought in the morning. It was a good day.

No comments: