Thursday, February 15, 2024

Christmas Eve

Wednesday, January 4, 20243

Christmas Eve this year was a Sunday so we all got up early and went to church. Since it was my month to conduct Sacrament Meeting, I was the one who planned the whole meeting. I thought it went very well.
I was able to include Kira in a string ensemble and Janet Tolley arranged a sort of medly of hymns and played bells and other beautiful sounds on the organ. The primary sang and the choir performed three songs. It was great.

After church, Lisa and Lanny started baking Lisa’s traditional Christmas cookies and treats. She got a late start this year and so was finishing up her baking the day before Christmas. Lanny spent a lot of time in the kitchen with Lisa which was really nice because Lisa is often alone in the kitchen at Christmas time.
I haven’t been able to do anything in my back yard for years but now that I’ve got the new design mostly completed, we spend a lot of time out in the backyard. The advantages of having a nice back yard were very evident over Christmas. The kids were back there pretty much any time the sun was shining. If the sun doesn’t shine in December it can get quite cold.
Lisa picked up a small air hocky game that the kids played a lot and they did all their arts and crafts out on the outdoor table.
Our latest tradition for Christmas Eve dinner has been a “Fast Food Fiesta”. Everyone decides what fast food meal and drink they want and then we divide the order up between different “runners” and send them out to buy the food. Someone might want an In-N-Out burger but a Frosted Lemonaid from Chick fil A.

It is really a lot of fun and a cheap and easy Christmas eve dinner. We couldn’t do it this year however because Christmas eve was on a Sunday. We were all very greatful then when Ben volunteered to make his famous taco’s for Christmas eve.

So Ben was in the backyard grilling up his meat and I was out by the deck and as I was walking toward Ben I for some reason glanced up and saw something weird sticking up from the rain gutter on the back of my house. As I got closer I realized that it was a bunch of cacti growing in my gutter. Cacti grow slow so those things must have been there for years.
Sunday evening we had our famous talent show. Because only two of our kids were here for Christmas Eve, Lisa sent a text out to the family inviting anyone to join in with us on Zoom. Alex was the only one who responded. Let me see if I can remember what everyone did.

Kit danced to the “Peach” song from the Mario movie.

Alex’s family made a human pyramid with Adelaide on the top.

Piper, Jack and Freddie sang Frosty the Snowman.

Cameron sang a Christmas song.

Landon showed a video of his High School band who actually won State this year. Landon plays saxaphone.

Evan demonstrated how many cookies he could fit into his mouth. I think he got four. This talent was inspired by the story of Ben putting 14 or so Ritz crackers in his mouth one year. That story has been retold many times.
Angelina sang a traditional Taiwanese song in Mandarin. She has a very pretty voice.

Sharly showed her new website for how they are doing a makover on their food menu for their wedding venue.

Kira shared a video of their Mellenium Choir that she has been playing in.

Ben and Justin put on a magic show which was very impressive.
Mom has been taking piano lessons and surprised everyone by playing a couple of songs for us. She was very nervous and didn’t play as well as she has done while practicing. I love to listen to her practice the piano. I hope she keeps taking lessons now that the talent show is over.

I shared my video of Lisa’s birthday which showcases my yard.

Lanny chose not to share a talent.

After the talent show the kids put on a nativity skit which included Justin as a donkey, Kira as a wise man, Loki as a camel and Angelina as an angel.


We then put all the little kids to bed, the adults took a big sigh of relief and then Santa came and left gifts. It was a great day.

-------------------trivia-------------------
Turtles can breathe out of their butts.
--------------------------------------------

No comments: