Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Dad, Tell Me About the Time…(18)

Thursday, December 21, 2023

Which United States President was in office during your youth that you can remember?


I grew up in Canada so I paid little attention to US politics. As far as that goes, I cared little for any politics and I could tell you little about what went on in Canada. The only Canadian Prime Minister (President) I remember is Pierre Elliot Trudeau and I have little good to say about him. I loved Reagan though.

What was the most significant technological advancement that occurred in your lifetime?

There has been so many advancements that it is difficult to say which is the most significant. I’d probably have to say it was the internet. I always used to carry around a “Rubber Handbook” because it had just about every technical fact, or material property that I could ever need. They called it the Rubber Handbook because CRC originally stood for “Chemical Rubber Company.
Now I just carry this… and it can access more information than you could hold in a thousand Rubber books. It can also do much more than any book. 
This is a phone, a tape recorder, a camera, a video camera, a TV, a calculator, a computer and the list goes on.

Have advancements in technology changed your life for better or for worse?

Satan will take anything good in the world and create an evil equivalent and this is no different with technology. As much as the environmentalist hate to admit, nuclear power is the only source of power that can provide clean, polution free energy but it can also be used to make nuclear bombs. Love is the only thing that can bring world peace but Satan tries to make us confuse it with lust. Every good thing has its evil equivalent. Just because new techology can be used for evil I don’t think the answer is to go back to horse and buggy days. I am blessed to live in a time with so much knowledge on the earth. I will hold onto the good and reject the evil.

Remembering the world around you as a youth, is there anything special or unique you want to share?

I don’t know how much of my memories of my youth is my personality or my environment, but I had a very carefee life growing up. I look at kids today and they have so much stress and pressure. This could be largely my personality because even as an adult I believe I have little stress in my life. I am quite capable of doing what I can to solve a problem and not worrying about the things I can’t do anything about.

WORKING HARD

Every job I have ever had (company name/position/pay)


1958 to 1966 The Leavitt Household
     child                  Room & Board

1966 to 1970 The Leavitt Household
     Grunt                 Room & Board

1970 to 1976 Windflower Motel
     Laundry boy      $12/hr

1976 to 1977 Brigham Young University
     Student              -$550/semester

Summer 1977 Arlen Q Leavitt
     Carpenter          $12/hr

1977 to 1979 Belgium Antwerp Mission
     Missionary        countless blessings

1979 to 1983 University of Alberta
     Student             -$1,200/semester

Summer 1980 Edmonton Police Dept
     Stores              $10/hr

Summer 1981 Canadian Liquid Air
     Technician       $10/hr

1982 to 1983 University of Alberta
     Lab Tech         $10/hr

1983 to 1991 Global Thermoelectric
     Thermoelectric Engineer     $25k/year
     Engineering Manager          $45k/year

1991 to 1998 Hi-Z Technology
     Engineer                              $45k/year

1998 to 2009 Qualcomm/Kyocera
     Senior Engineer                 $65k/year
     Staff Engineer                    $85k/year
     Senior Staff Engineer        $100k/yea
     Senior Staff Engineer/Manager $110k/yr

2009 to 2018 Hi-Z Technology
     Operations Manager         $100k/year
     Operations Manager         $80k/year
     Vice President                   $60k/year

2018 to now Vulcan Energy
     Owner                              $60k/year

Wheels; vehicles I have owned or driven, year/make/model.

1981 1973 Chevelle Malibu 350V8 engine
1983 old Toyoto, Corolla 4 cylinder
1984 used AMC Gremlin 4 cylinder
1990 used Dodge Caravan V6
1993 used Dodge Astrovan V6
1994 used Chevy Sprint 3 cylinder
1998 used Dodge Astrovan V6
2000 used Mitsubishi, Mighty Max 4 cycliner
2002 used Ford Ranger 4 cylinder
2004 2004 Toyota Sienna V6
2006 Old Toyota Camry V6
2008 Old Toyota Camry V6
2010 Old Toyota Camry V6
2011 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 2 cylinder
2018 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, with ramp
2022 2006 Toyota Sienna V6

Many of those dates are my best guess.

EARNING A LIVING

When you were growing up, what was your dream job and why?

When I was in sixth grade and took my first science class I knew I wanted to be a scientist. I loved to learn how things worked and wanted to develop new inventions.

What was the first job you ever had?

My first job was working at our families motel.

My first job working for someone other than my dad was at the Edmonton City Police Department.

My first job with a University Degree was at Global Thermoelectric, developing thermoelectric generators.

What was the best job you ever had and why?

My best job ever was at Hi-Z Technology because that is where I was able to write proposals and manage projects for various customers. I will try and list the ones I can remember.

DOE 
DOD 
DARPA 
NSF 
EPA
NASA 
JPL 
LLNL 
PP&L 
BAE
General Electric 
Lockheed Martin Toyota
Sandia National Lab 
 Rocketdyne 
ARMY
Idaho National Lab 
General Atomic Cummins
Lockheed Martin 
General Dynamics 
Caterpiller
Northrup Grumman 
Detroit Diesel 
Gas Unie
Tokyo Gas & Electric 
NAVY 
Main Maritime Academy

I’m sure there are many more but you get the idea. It was fun working on these projects.

The downside to working at Hi-Z was the low pay. I had better benefits, more vacation and much higher wages working at Qualcomm/Kyocera. I still thoroughly enjoyed working at Kyocera because I was working with vendors who were developing new products. The problem is that I was on the outside looking in and that was just not as fun.

--------------------trivia--------------------
A small RTG that you can hold in your hand 
contains more energy than 12 tons of lead acid batteries. 
Nuclear energy is much more energy dense 
than chemical energy.
----------------------------------------------

No comments: