Tuesday, February 06, 2024

Dad, Tell Me About the Time…(14)

Thursday, December 7, 2023

Who is the oldest family member you remember?


The oldest family member I remember would be my great grandma Leavitt who was born in 1876 but my memory of her is very fleeting. The oldest family member that I really knew well would be my grandpa Leavitt who was born in 1896. My grandma Leavitt was also born in 1896 but a few month later.

I also have clear memories of Lisa’s great grandma Shaw who was born in 1887.

What family stories did your grandma/grandpa share with you about their lives?

As I mentioned before, my grandparents never talked to me except for grandpa Leavitt so have no stories to share except one from my grandpa Leavitt. On his wedding day he was taking his new bride to their new home in a horse and buggy. They had to cross a creek but it was spring and the creek was high but he had to get across so he tried anyway and sure enough he got stuck in the middle of the creek. He ended up carrying his bride from the wagon to the other shore and they walked the rest of the way to their home.

First Time for Everything

Milestones – List the date and details for each experience below.

Job May 1970 My first paid job was when I started working for my dad in our motels at the age of 12.

May 1981 My first job where I worked for someone else was my first summer at the U of A while I worked for Canadian Liquid Air filling oxygen cylinders.

August 1983 My first full time job was at Global Thermoelectric right out of school.

Crush 1971 My first crush would definitely be Christine Hunter. I clearly remember when the Hunters moved into our ward and I thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world. She was my first kiss on the lips but alas, the relationship didn’t ever really go anywhere.

Kiss 1972 Again, Christine Hunter.

Date August 1974 My first date was when I turned sixteen and it was with Debbie Jones. A very nice girl but again, she didn’t seem terribly interested.

Heartbreak I don’t remember ever having my heart really broken. Probably because I was way too scared to talk to girls.

Pet About 1962 The first pet I remember was Sandy, our little yellow mongrel dog.

1968 The first pet I really fell in love with was a white cat that I think was named Snowball.

Car 1981 A 1976 Chevy Malibu with a 350 cubic inch V8 engine. I bought it from Ross and Jackie after we got married.

Movie ~1968 I have no idea what my first movie was but I remember going to movies with friends when I was still quite young. I was probably around ten years old.

1977 One of my earliest good movies that I remember is Star Wars which I watched the night before I entered the LTM in 1977.

School September 1964 My first school was Westside Elementary school.

Concert
1977 My first concert was while I was at BYU. Tom and I went to see America. I’m not sure why Tom was in Provo.

Home Summer 1984 After I graduated from the U of A Lisa and I moved to Rosemary and bought our first house for $26K. Yes, that was cheap even in 1984 but it was because the house was in Rosemary and it was a bank foreclosure.

Plane Ride October 1977 The first time I flew was when I flew to Belgium on my mission. It was very exciting.

Big Trip without your parents Spring 1975 Me, Lester, Tom and Rick drove about five hours to Sunshine Village ski resourt when we were in high school.

August 1981 My first real road trip would be our honeymoon to Utah.

Tatoo no tatoos

Piercing no piercings, other than sticking a nail through my hand.

Proposal December 22, 1980

Engagement Dec 22, 1980 to July 11, 1981. Not sure what this means, our engagement started when I proposed and ended when we got married.

Marriage July 11, 1981

True Love August 1979. I met Lisa in late August 1979 and I loved her the moment I first spoke to her.

Child ~2:00AM September 2, 1982. Kira was born in the early hours of September 2, 1982 and I loved her the moment I first saw her. Actually, I loved her before I ever met her.

--------------------trivia--------------------
A snail can have about 25,000 teeth.
-----------------------------------------------

No comments: