Saturday, February 10, 2024

Orange Tree

Monday, December 18, 2023

One of the many jobs I was able to get done yesterday was to dig a hole in which to plant our new orange tree. I was told the hole should be roughly 22 inches in diameter and 22 inches deep.

Just before I reached 22” deep I came across a random PVC pipe that went right across the bottom of my hole. I was ready to call the hole deep enough and be done when I decided to remove the pipe. I kept going over all the harm being done in our world from plastic and PVC must be one of the worst, and while I’m certain there is no way any of the chemicals from the pipe could end up in my orange, it bugged me enough that I decided to take an extra five minutes and get rid of the pipe. My entire back yard has been dug up within the last year and I know exactly where every pipe connected to city water is. There is absolutely no way that pipe could be connected to anything important. I took my pick and chopped off the pipe right next to the edge of the hole and immediately my hole started filling up with water. The pipe was connected to city water. I have no idea where it is coming from or where it is going but my five-minute job just turned into a 45-minute job. 
Because I had cut the pipe right next to the edge of the hole, I had to dig another hole next to the first hole to expose enough pipe to cap it. I then waited another hour or two for the water to drain out of the hole.

--------------------trivia--------------------
The word "soccer" was coined by England. 

Football in England at the time was dominated by the "Association of Football" which the English shortened to "AsSOC". It was a fad at the time to add -er to the ends of words so Assoc became Assocer and then just soccer. At the time football was becoming popular in American colleges so they quickly adopted the word and then when American football became popular it was quickly used to better distinguish between American Football and English Football. 

The English then went back to "football" but no one told the Americans.
----------------------------------------------

No comments: