Saturday, August 10, 2024

Memories of Alex

Friday, July 19, 2024
Alex is another child who has very different interests than I do but his interests are so varied that we are able to overlap in many areas. Alex and I became very close as a toddler because he struggled with his emotions, and I was the only one who was able to calm him down. More often than not, I was only able to do that because I was so much bigger than him and I would physically restrain him until he calmed down. There may have been some corporal incentives added once in a while but since I always followed any corporal punishment with hugs and expressions of love, Alex learned at an early age just how much I loved him.
One of my favorite memories with Alex was at a scout camp at Camp Taquitz. It was his last year as a scout and while most boys his age would have dreaded having their father there, Alex was excited that I was coming. Camping and being outdoors is one activity that Alex and I share. We both love being outside and even to this day we both look for every opportunity to do that.
I loved watching Alex hang out with his friends and he took every opportunity to share his accomplishments with me. I don’t remember the details but at one point they had a talent show and Alex got the troop together and led them all in a skit that they later performed. I knew then that Alex would be a leader. I’m not surprised that his career has gone in that direction. He trains others how to succeed. It was amazing to spend a week with my boy and I will never forget that time together.
Another interest that Alex and I share is Star Trek. Alex recognized that we had little in common and he wanted to do things with me so he would sit down and watch Star Trek with me. It wasn’t something that he particularly enjoyed and probably wouldn’t have done on his own but he did it so he could be with me. I’m amazed that he figured that out at such a young age. It wasn’t long before he actually turned into a Trekkie and I love it. Even now we discuss all the new Star Trek series and their plot lines. I love it.
--------------------trivia--------------------
The name “LEGO” was created from taking the first two letters of the Danish words LEG GODT, meaning “play well“. Laid end to end, the number of LEGO bricks sold in a year would reach more than five times round the world.
-----------------------------------------------




No comments: