Monday, May 26, 2008

Alex's Junior Paper

198.9 no change
It's been one of those weekends. Saturday I had great plans for mowing the lawn and getting things ready for everyone's arrival next week but first thing in the morning I sat Alex down and told him that we were going to get all of his homework done that was due next week. I figured with everyone coming home he would be severely distracted and not get it done while they were here. I told him we were going to make a schedule to have everything done before I left Monday morning but to my surprise he said, "Dad, I want to enjoy the next two days (Monday is a holiday) with my friends so lets get all of my homework done today." Wow, how can I argue with that? In our school everyone has to write a major report in their junior year referred to as a "Junior Paper". Alex is in the middle of his now. Somehow he was able to finagle his way into writing a report on a Tom Clancy book. Much more enjoyable than the dumb books everyone else wrote on. I'm reading the book with him and Saturday we wrote an outline. I say "we" but much to his dismay I did not write much of it for him. My role was to keep him from getting discouraged. Alex is a very bright boy but writing has never been his strong suit. I think he is much better than he gives himself credit for. So instead of cleaning up the yard, Alex got his work done. Probably a better use of my time. Saturday evening Sarah went to the church dance and had a great time. Alycia did her hair for her and she looked beautiful. Today was our ward conference. It was wonderful having our new Stake President speak to us. As I mentioned before, our new stake President is our old bishop. It was just like the good old times. Tonight we watched the movie, "Clear and Present Danger". That was Alex's book for his junior paper. Let's see if I can remember the schedule now for the next three days. Tomorrow I leave for Milwaukee and Serene & Sydney leave Alaska to come home for the wedding. Tuesday, Grandpa and Nana arrive, Serene & Sydney arrive and Kira, Justin and Evan arrive. Wednesday Brandon arrives, I arrive an hour later and then Grandma Shaw arrives in the afternoon. That is going to be a lot of trips to the airport. This is going to be a fun week. I sure wish I didn't have to leave.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Congrats on your NO change first.
Second, Congrats on being Father of the year for helping your kids do their homework before anything else.
And congrats again for the upcoming wedding. sure wish we could have been there too. Hope they got our mail.