Monday, May 12, 2008

Ten Years

202.6 up 0.3
I was really scared that I was going to gain a lot more weight after that baked potato and watermelon. Today was a milestone for me. On May 11, 1998 I joined Qualcomm. That was ten years ago. Today I received a ten year award. It is hard to believe that I have worked at this company for ten years. I saw a new one today, I went for my run during lunch today and I jogged by the mail boxes on the street and one of them had a huge sign on it. This was a very professional sign with large letters that said, "Darrel cheated on his wife with a co-worker. K.O." I thought, "boy, that's going to ruin Darrel's day". As I left work today I saw a much larger sign pasted onto a huge transformer that said the same thing. Personally I think Darrel deserves it and probably much worse but it was really quite funny. When I went running today I thought I'd get brave and go for a longer run. I was trying for three miles but on my new route I ran into some construction and had to turn back. I still got a good 2 1/3 miles in. I'm starting to get used to this running business. It looks like my kids are all settled in for the summer with their summer jobs. Brandon was the first, he flew up to Mark and Dixies and is working for Mark. It is looking like he will get plenty of hours in up there. I hope Mark has a real good summer. Alycia had a job all lined up but the week before she came home it fell through. A very sad story that I will probably tell you on another day. Anyway, she went crazy on the internet and Lisa went into full gear for her and the day after she got home she went for an interview and by the end of that day she had two jobs. Both are part time right now but both could go full time soon. She is loving both jobs. Ben has always been a lot more casual about things so we really didn't know what he had planned and no matter how hard we try to help him it is always, "don't worry mommy, I'm working on it". Well unfortunately he came home sick and it was hard for him to do anything the first week. The people he was supposed to work for never did call him and they wouldn't return phone calls so finally he went and talked to the company Sharley works for "Moxie Pest Control" and took a job with them selling pest control. I've really tried to discourage my kids from these kinds of jobs because I hate selling so much and commission jobs scare me to death. Especially door to door selling jobs. Oh well, I figure if anyone could do it, Ben is the one who could. Ben had his first day on the job today and he made more today than Alycia did all last week. If every day is like today then Ben will have a good summer.

2 comments:

Kira said...

I hate sales jobs!

Lynn said...

WAy to go Ben! I guess there needs to be all kinds of jobs out there for all kinds of people and all kinds of needs. I need a salesman when I need something. However, I couldn't sell a toothpic if I tried. Way to go! Hope it all works out.

That was SO funny about the professional signs you saw while running. I'll bet that somehow his bank account eventually paid for those professional signs to be printed. LOL!

Congrats on the 10 year mark with your job! Cool!