Saturday, May 03, 2008

Tom

This morning at about 6:00AM Alex woke up needing to drain his bladder. He fought the urge for about 20 minutes and finally gave in and got up to go to the bathroom. He was walking across his bedroom floor when all of the sudden he had a stabbing pain in his toe. His first thought was that Sheba (our cat) attacked him like she has been known to do. The pain continued so out of reflex he kicked his foot and Tom goes flying across the room. Tom is Alex's pet python. The poor snake lay there not moving and Alex was afraid he had killed his snake. Finally Tom moved and Alex relaxed. He did not feel much like touching the animal that had just attacked him so he comes into our room and woke me up. I thought the story was so good I took a picture. So Alex does his business and then goes back to bed but his toe still feels like something is in it. He says to heck with it and goes to sleep. When he finally woke up in the morning we took a closer look at this toe and lo and behold, there are two teeth stuck in his toe. When Alex wanted to get a snake I made him study all about ball pythons before I would let him get it. He is actually quite knowledgeable. For example, I always thought that all snakes had two big fangs but Pythons actually have many teeth, much like a shark, so they can better hold on to their prey. It is probably no big deal for Tom to be short two teeth. When Tom first joined our family he was no more than a foot long. He quickly grew however and before long he was lifting the lid on his aquarium and crawling out. Alex finally solved the problem by placing a bowling ball on the lid. Last week when Alex fed Tom he forgot to put the bowling ball back and that is why Tom was crawling through all of the clothes on his bedroom floor. Tom is now about six feet long and at his widest point he is three or four inches in diameter. Tom is named after Tom Riddle in the Harry Potter books but when I hold him I always think of my childhood friend Tom Crooks. So did anyone notice in the second picture that Alex's second and third toes are webbed? Pretty interesting eh?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Good thing Alycia wasn't home. She would have had to been medicated and taken to the hospital if it had happened to her!!!

Lynn said...

Oh my Good---ness!!! I truly don't know where to start. I have so many thoughts on this one. Just let me catch my breath first.....
1. A snake??????????? I just finished reading about the cats and the mice in the house. A snake?????? : D
2. I am somehow hic-up-ing because I laughed at the same time that I drew a quick breath in, when I read that it was teeth in his toe and then thought....isn't it funny how us bloggers have that camera RIGHT there at the right moment for anything that could be worthy of a post?
3. Web toes. Too cute. I thought my sister (Yvonne) was the only one with web toes. The exact same ones. Don't tell her I told you.

Great post! What memories. Never a dull moment at your house, eh?