Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Milwaukee - day 2

Did I say it was warm here? I take that back. When we arrived here yesterday it was in the 80"s but within an hour it dropped to 40. It was one of those darn winds that blows down from Canada. I slept OK last night, the sleep number I finally settled on was 25. I like my beds soft. I really didn't sleep any different than I do at home though. I think the whole sleep number thing is lost on me. I guess not everyone knows what a sleep number bed is. It is basically a very fancy air mattress where you can dial in the hardness that you want. It isn't a normal air mattress though. It looks and feels like a normal mattress but you can blow it up to make it hard or let the air out to make it soft. Very hard is 100 and very soft is 0. This morning I got up at 6:30 (that would be 4:30 for my tired body) and I could hardly open my eyes. I had a couple of eggs for breakfast and then we hit the road. It is beautiful out here. They have many lakes and rivers and the place is green. It was quite cold though. We were making great time but just north of Osh Kosh the road was closed. There was no detour and no place to go. I didn’t have a decent map either so I did my best with the map quest printout and we found a way around. We drove past this big fancy garage that was on fire and then down the road a ways we were passed by about five fire trucks. We got to Merrill on time and met with the lawyer dude. This case is real bizarre. The phone definitely got very hot. So hot that it would seem it must be the battery that shorted but the battery isn’t swollen and it hasn’t vented. That is very unusual. It must have been something in the phone that shorted but the lawyer won’t let us touch the phone or the battery so we can’t tell. What is more bizarre though is the poor customer. I read the doctors report and he said it is was a mild first degree burn about 2 cm in diameter. That is about the size of a quarter. If one of my kids had a burn like that I would tell them to go run it under cold water and to be more careful next time. In fact I think Sarah got a first-degree burn on Sunday baking cinnamon rolls. Well this guy went to the emergency room. They gave him painkillers and told him it would heal soon. His file is now about two inches thick and he has four pages of prescriptions he has received. His medical bill is now up to about $15,000. I don’t imagine they have much of a case because this guy has been in an insane asylum and he has been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. He has had problems long before this incident but they want us to believe that this “event” triggered some weird disease that I can’t remember the name of now. There are some weird people in the world. On the way back to the hotel we stopped at a cheese place. Wisconsin is supposedly famous for it’s cheese so I stopped and bought some cheese curds. I love cheese curds but I ate all of them. Cheese has no carbs so it shouldn’t have a huge affect on me but just the volume of what I ate I think Brandon and I will wait a day or two before we have our weigh in. Well it is late so I’m going to read my book and go to bed. Tomorrow I get to go home. Right now everyone is there except for me, Brandon and Grandma. I hate it when people have fun without me.

3 comments:

Tiffanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffanie said...

Fascinating story Fred! Beautiful pictures. Geeze! That is a soft bed! Cheese curds! There's a small town in Utah where we always get cheese curds. I think the kids liked the homemade ice cream better. I like the way the curds squeek on your teeth : )

Lynn said...

I only learned about cheese curds just recently. An immigrant woman was trying to explain a recipe to my daughter and she said "squeaky cheese." We said What??! She said, you know....the squeaky cheese. WE had NEVER heard of cheese curds before. Man I need to get out more. : D
Thanks for the clarification of the numbering bed. I have NEVER heard of one of those either. Boy, I sure could use one of those on my bed! Cool!
Thanks for sharing the pictures! Love them too.
P.S. Don't blame the COLD wind on Canada. It's NICE and sunny and warm here these days. Ha HA.