Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Everyone's Home

Last night I tried the sleep number bed at 50. I slept the same so I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference what my bed is like. I sleep well pretty much everywhere. I don't sleep very good on the ground any more though. That much I do know. This morning we got up early so I could get the first flight home. I was anxious to get there because everyone was home except for Grandma Shaw. I landed around noon and rather than having someone come and pick me up Mike offered to drive me home. That was very nice. When I got home the only people there were Grandpa Shaw, Brandon and Peter. The girls were all out shopping, Alex and Sarah were still at school, Ben was out on a final fling with his buddies (the final part of his "bachelors party") and Kira and Justin were at Sea World. It was good to see Peter Brandon and Grandpa though. After visiting for a while Brandon and Peter were killing each other on the X Box so Grandpa took me out for lunch. I had a Carnita's taco and a large horchata at Cotijas. I love their horchata and their Carnitas. The taco is smaller than the burrito so that is what I got today. Grandpa and I were enjoying ourselves when Lisa called and asked if we could go pick up Sarah from school. I was excited to see her so off we went. About the time Sarah shows up (she likes to visit like her mother) I get another call from Lisa asking me who was getting her mother. I asked when her mother was supposed to arrive and she told me 3:10 (or somewhere around then). Since it was already 3:00 I told Lisa that I might be a bit late. I rushed Sarah and Grandpa back to the house and Brandon called to tell me that Grandma had called wondering where we are. I asked him if he had told her we were on our way and he said. "I didn't answer the phone, she just left a message on the machine". I tried calling her but she didn't answer the phone so off I went to the airport. I got onto the I-5 and the traffic came to a grinding halt. Apparently there had been a brush fire along the freeway and the fire trucks were taking up the right two lanes. As I was waiting in traffic Kira called to see where I was and I told her that I was right beside them on the freeway. They were on there way home from Sea World and so would have been heading north on the I-5 while I was heading south. I could see them go by because the lanes are divided with bushes but they told me how much longer my wait was. About an hour after poor grandma had landed I finally got to her. She left her phone in Edmonton so she had called on a pay phone. That is why no one could get a hold of her. Tonight Sarah had her track and field year end banquet. Lisa had a hair appointment so I took Grandpa and Nana in her place. We had a good visit and good food. Sarah of course was off flirting with the boys. She doesn't sit with the girls, she's with the boys. She was recognized for participation in long distance (both mile and 2 mile), sprint (800 meters, since when is 800 meters a sprint?) and 300 meter hurdles. After the banquet we headed back to the house and for the first time I was able to see my wife. It was a long day. To catch my early flight I woke up at 6:30 (4:30 in San Diego) and with all the visiting etc I didn't get to bed until after midnight. Ben comes home and says, "did anyone tell you?" I said "tell me what?" He then pulls out a DVD and shows me what his friends did for his bachelors party. They blind folded him and drove him off and Ben was terrified they were going to do something inappropriate for a good little mormon boy. As it turns out they took him sky diving. I was quite jealous. It was a wonderful evening because we were all there.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Oh. my. good.ness. I am gasping for air. What a busy life you all lead. What fun! And so cool that you all make it back home safe and sound together again at the end of the day.
Okay. I think I would have died with the sky diving thing. But hey, it does sound exciting!