Wednesday, May 14, 2008

peace

205.1 up 1.1
OK, that was embarrassing. I didn't want to even report my weight this morning but I made a commitment so I stuck with it. I am now recommitted and you watch the weight drop. I'll bet I reach my 200 lb goal by Sunday.

How many of you knew that today is the 50th anniversary of the peace sign? How many of you actually know the origins of the peace sign? How many of you care? It was actually a very controversial symbol initially and people would make fun of it calling it a crows foot or the foot print of the American Chicken. I'm sure I would have been one of the mockers because it was originally a symbol for nuclear disarmament. Nuclear disarmament sounds great in theory but why would we want to get rid of all our nuclear bombs when many of our enemies have them and are quite willing to use them? For some reason people don't seem to understand that when you're dealing with evil people the only way we can have peace is if our guns are bigger than their guns. Aren't we all glad that the Americans are the ones who got the nuclear bomb first? Oh, well. Off my high horse and back to the peace symbol. The symbal was design by some guy named Gerald Holtom in 1958. That was the year I was born by the way so you can guess how old I'm going to be this year? He used the flag signaling system for the letters "N" and "D" to create the symbol. The letters "N" and "D" stand for "Nuclear Disarmament". The letter "N" using flags is with made by holding both flags down at an angle as shown in the first flag picture. The letter "D" is made by holding one flag straight down and one flag straight up making a vertical line as shown in the second picture. When you put these lines together you get the peace sign as shown after the flag pictures. The symbol was first used by anti war demonstrators in the 50's and by the 60's it was synonymous with the anti-war movement. Today it just means peace. The last peace sign I just threw in here because I thought it looked cool. I wish I could still bend like that.





2 comments:

Lynn said...

My My. That was totally interesting. Where do you come up with your thoughts? Great post! I am sharing this with the kids. I bet they don't know either.

Tiffanie said...

Hey Fred,
That's so interesting! Very cool. When I saw peace stickers on vehicles today, I thought of this story. Mackenzie wants to remember this date for next year. She has plans to dress for the date. That last picture reminded me of her in her caveman dance piece.