Thursday, May 08, 2008

Edmonton Young Adults

204.6 up 0.2
Before my mission I attended BYU for a year. I loved it and had every intention of going back there after my mission. I got home from my mission in late August and of course I had not applied at BYU and so there was no chance I was going there. Mom, however had already applied for me to go to the U of A (Alberta) so off I went. For my first year I stayed with Greg and Gaylia and that is how I ended up in the Edmonton 5th ward. The 5th ward was quite a distance from the University and so it was a long way from the Institute. For the non-mormons who might need an explanation, the Institute is a church educational program that is tied to most Universities for the students to take religion classes if they want to. Most institutes have a building adjacent to the campus. Institute is where the single university students would normally go to church plus participate in many other activities such as dances. Since the Institute was so far away I decided to attended church with Greg and Gaylia in their family ward. To my delight, the 5th ward had a lot of single young adults and they actually had a class just for us. We had a ton of fun and although I can't remember what all we did I do remember that we were close and we had our own activities. Let me see how many names I can remember after all this time. Barbara Hodges (married my brother, Lester), David Gander (became my roommate and married Lisa's good friend Gaylene Cooper), David Butler (went to my mission), Carole LaBonte (in the air force and from Quebec), Wendy Wallbank, some MacDonald girl, Daisy and her sister (from back east and I can't remember their last names). There was a house full of guys but I can't remember their names. There were also others but anyone who knows me is probably amazed I can remember the names I did. I have many fond memories from my time with that group of people. Lisa wasn't old enough to attend that class but after we became friends she came along on all the activities anyway.

Jumping back to 2008, I have been getting a ton of requests to join Face Book. I barely have time to read my emails and I force myself to take the time to write my blog so I have been putting Face Book off for quite some time. Finally I gave in and signed up with Face Book. I haven't uploaded any pictures and I have done nothing except let the computer send out a friend request to all the email addresses in my address book. Within three days I had over thirty friends and I have a dozen requests to join some "mob wars". I think I'm going to have to check that one out. I'm thinking of joining Leslie's mob. So now that I'm in the Face Book world (albeit without a face) I'm seeing a lot of people that I haven't heard from in years and then earlier this week I received a message from some Carole Hudson. I almost deleted it because I don't know any Carole Hudson but out of curiosity I read through the message and it was Carole Labonte from our young adult group in Edmonton 5th ward. She is now married and has five beautiful girls. I don't think I've talked to Carole since I graduated from the U of A and moved to Bassano. The first picture is the Carole I knew and the last picture is Carole now. Thanks for looking me up Carole.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh the dilemma of Facebook! I too still struggle with that one. DO I? Don't I?
I think that is cool that you were able to find so many long lost friends already. And even without a face...

Kira said...

very cool dad

Carole said...

Hey Fred, I've got a picture for you, from one of our Family Home Evenings. I'll email it to you.

Carole